Monday, December 1, 2008

Trying some flight video - Flying the Twin Oaks pattern

This is just a quick test with some mounted-camera video. It's pretty obvious when you watch that there are some serious issues with the camera's shutter and how it interacts with the propeller. But, I decided to publish this particular lap around the pattern at Twin Oaks Airpark because it was the last circuit I flew with my instructor before he jumped out and told me to fly three take-off's and landings on my own for my first solo back on November 16th. I didn't have the camera running for the solo landings because the batteries died right after this one. At the very end of the video you can hear Kelly telling me what I'm about to do.

The camera is a Kodak Zi6 compact camera set at 60fps/720p, and mounted with a homemade bracket on the top of the dash with parts sourced from my local Home Depot (Velcro tape and straps and a couple metal angle brackets). I need to do some experimentation and try the camera at 30fps to see if the prop weirdness is still there, as well as at a lower resolution maybe. I also plan to test a more advanced camera when I fly next time, one I have that will let me record the audio from the intercom on the video's audio track, similar to the audio-only recording I did the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment